Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hey I heard you were a Wild One


Let me introduce the amazing, super funny, very smart, fearless,wild, handsome Monkey # 3, aka Houdini.


He is an all-out crash test dummy that has been through more trauma in his short 12 years than most. With 22 broken bones total (from birth on, born with temporary brittle bone disease) to ADHD and dyslexia but he is still going strong and raring to go at every beat. Though mama monkey can't quite figure him out majority of the time he still keeps me smiling and forever on my toes. His story has pretty much been a mystery since early on in my pregnancy, and only getting stranger thereafter. Without bellowing into what would make up its own blog I will just say, still to this day I have no idea what is what is what!
Even on off days he is the sweetest, caring and most helpful kiddo. He will praise you, hug you and tell you how much he just adores you. At these times he is willing to help out with no repress wearing a smile as big… ok little as his face can hold. Many times he can sit alone with Legos and build the most amazing creations that I would NEVER even think to come up with let alone figure out how to build. He can spend hours tinkering with random parts and figure out how to put them back to working order. This monkey, he truly AMAZES me in every way.
The kicker... I have no clue how to help when it is like...



THIS,
Lying, HA I have never seen anyone (NO joke, and I have seen some amazing liars in my day) lie as much and often as he. It is literally one after another, I now think everything is a lie. From what did you have for lunch, (knowing we have a menu from the school), to did you brush your teeth. Everything is a lie! He will look directly at you even if he knows you know the truth or even have proof and tell you a flat out lie.
Stealing, wow where do I start here. He has stolen things from teachers, students, principles, and of course family. Nothing from stores or anything like that, thank god. It will be the most random things and don't you know he will come home with it and lie out his behind where it came from. This got better and then suddenly he seemed to spike interest in it again.
He is in constant trouble at school and on the bus for the ADHD behavior he exhibits, moving, talking, and climbing around, he just seriously never ever stops.
For years we had tried all sorts of ways to help this, changing his diet, limiting sugar almost to zip zero notta, every discipline tactic you can find out there they say to try, I mean we gave it a real go. Finally with great sadness, but the utmost desire to help him,
5 years ago we broke down and put him on medication for it. Although I am not a parent who believes in medicating thus why we tried all else prior, I felt we had to try it at this point. Something had to help, somehow...right?!?






So it did, finally he actually felt better about himself, he wasn't being nagged at on a regular basis, he could focus, his grades came up and school was able to enjoy having him in class. His true potential was able to shine. Then came the shitty side effects and he actually lost weight, on top of not growing for like 2 years. So it was changed, and
well he has actually gained a couple pounds on it so that is great, but it did not work at all he has since gotten grounded the remainder of the school year for lying, stealing, sneaking, getting kicked off the bus, more lying, I mean I could be here for days. It is the same behavior we had before, so last Friday it was upped. Guess we will see how we do from here. However the thought of him taking such doses makes me cringe. I research everything and this medication is not so good on the long haul from what I read. It terrifies me of what could be later on in life for him. There are many days I feel like we are just setting him up for failure. His self-esteem is already low from being a constant nuisance to the majority of people he is around, all because he can’t control his little body all of the time. I HATE this for him, I battle tears on a regular. Just one of those things as a mother you never want to see your child deal with.
We talk a lot about it and he tells me he hates to get in trouble, I certainly believe him. :( Damn you ADHD why do you even exist. ughh.


I am one who love suggestions, so if anyone has a story, or just some advice, please feel free to share.
Here's to kicking this ugly crap in its face, FU ADHD you will NOT ruin my kiddo.




No comments: